The SS Rosalind, initially named the Tosari, was built about 1890 for the Sunda Line, Hamburg. She was sold in 1891 to the German East Africa Line and renamed the Admiral. In 1902, she was bought by C. T. Bowring & Co. and renamed the SS Rosalind. In 1912, the Rosalind was sold to St. Lawrence Shipping Co, Montreal, and renamed City of Sydney. However, according to the manifests, even after her sale, she was still used to provide service on the St. John’s to New York run, under her new name, until March of 1914.